Sundays @ 9 a.m.
Calvary Classes are part of our Family Ministries
The Mission of Calvary Bible Church is “to Call the people of Washtenaw County to worship the Lord Jesus Christ and Connect them together to serve Him.” Calvary Classes fits with the “connect them together to serve Him” portion of our mission. It is about “connecting” people with a teacher (teacher/disciple relationship) who can instruct them in the Bible. This ministry meets 45 Sundays a year from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m., just prior to our Sunday worship service.
Current Adult Calvary Classes
These classes start on Sunday, May 7:
1 & 2 Thessalonians taught by Jeff Hatto, Room 225
Jesus promised to return and that it could happen at any moment, so how should you as a Christian live in light of this truth? We will nd out as we study these two books of the Bible with assistance by John MacArthur’s study guide.
Twelve Ordinary Men taught by Blake Hasselbring, room 133
Do you think you have to be nearly perfect to be a spiritual leader? If so, you should join us for this study. Using John MacArthur’s book Twelve Ordinary Men we will see how Jesus took very average guys from different backgrounds and turned them into spiritual leaders. His work in their lives will help you grow in your walk with God and spiritual leadership.
Children's Calvary Classes
Like adult Calvary Classes, this ministry meets from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. and usually follows the same schedule of 45 Sundays each year and 7 scheduled breaks. Our children’s Calvary Classes offers classes based on the child’s age, such as:
- Toddlers (2-3 years old)
- Pre-School (4-5 years old)
- Grades 1-2
- Grades 3-4
- Grades 5-6
- Grades 7-8
- Grades 9-12
We also have a well-staffed, well-trained nursery for children under age 2.
To find the location of this Calvary Class, see one of the bulletins our ushers hand out each Sunday. There are also signs posted throughout the building listing the classes, room number, teacher's name, and how to find each class.
More About Adult Calvary Classes
The purpose of adult Calvary Classes is to provide adults at Calvary with all the resources they need to grow in their knowledge of and obedience to Christ and the Christian life. Although our Sunday worship service is designed to teach God’s Word to our people, Calvary Classes allow us time to explore all the areas of biblical truth that believers need to know as well as provide more detail and depth.
Our Goals for Adult Calvary Classes:
- To provide through our local church the kind of systematic instruction usually available only in a Christian college.
- To stop the spread of Biblical ignorance among Christians.
- To provide our community, which is rich with secular learning opportunities, with a place where people can learn about the Christian faith in a way that is both accessible to everyone and challenging to those who are well-educated.
- To develop the teaching gifts of godly, gifted adults in our church and give them many opportunities to use their gifts and abilities to build up our church by teaching other Christian adults.
In many churches, the closest thing they have to Calvary Classes is Sunday School, but Sunday School in these churches is a rigidly scheduled ministry which never pauses, despite the fact that there are known Sundays when many regular attenders are likely to be out of town. Here at Calvary, we have attempted to design Calvary Classes to allow us plenty of time for numerous classes while also allowing us to schedule flexibility into our ministry. This flexibility allows us some scheduled breaks in our class schedule on Sundays when attendance may be reduced due to holidays or to allow special events like missionary speakers. Scheduled days off will usually include:
- 1 Sunday before Labor Day (September)
- 1 Sunday around Thanksgiving
- 2 Sundays around Christmas
- 1 Sunday around New Year’s Day
- 1 Sunday for Easter (Easter Sunday)
- 1 Sunday for Memorial Day (May)